10th Oct 2016
Mold Crown Court heard Gordon Anglesea
was trying to “wriggle out” of the fact he “said two vastly different
things” during a High Court libel action in 1994, and the current trial.
Mr Anglesea, 79, of Old Colwyn, Conwy, denies abusing two boys in the 1980s.
The court has previously heard one complainant claim sexual abuse by Mr Anglesea in a shower block.
Last week, during questioning by his own
barrister, Mr Anglesea told the court he visited a shower area of a
Home Office attendance centre he used to run “once or twice”.
Cross-examining Mr Anglesea on Monday,
Eleanor Laws QC, referred to evidence he gave in the 1994 libel case,
which resulted in Mr Anglesea being awarded nearly £400,000 in damages.
In 1994, under oath, he was asked: “Did you stand in the showers watching the boys regularly?”
He had answered: “I went to the showers on every occasion the attendance centre was open.”
Mr Anglesea confirmed to the court he had been given the chance to read through the libel transcript over the weekend.
He said: “I read it and I realised there was an interpretation on there which to me was incorrect.”
He said his libel evidence could have been “misconstrued” and he did not go into the shower area every time.
Ms Laws accused him of lying under oath, either during the libel action, or to the present jury.
She said he was trying to “wriggle out of the fact you said two vastly different things”.
She accused him of making things up, to which he replied: “I have made nothing up at all.”
Gordon Anglesea denies one charge of
indecent assault against one boy, and two charges of indecent assault
and one serious sexual assault against another. BBC NEWS
- Gordon Anglesea trial: No truth in historic sex allegations, says accused
- Gordon Anglesea accused of lying on oath over evidence in libel case
6th Oct 2016
- Gordon Anglesea was ‘appalled’ by child abuse claims, court hears
- Gordon Anglesea trial: defendant denies claims of child sex offences
- Gordon Anglesea trial: ‘No truth’ in allegations, court hears
5th Oct 2016
3rd Oct 2016
28th Sept 2016
- Police commissioner drove accused to children’s home
- Gordon Anglesea trial: police officer was driven to children’s home
- Police crime chief ‘gave Gordon Anglesea lifts to Bryn Estyn’
27th Sept 2016
26th Sept 2016
23rd Sept 2016
- Sex abuse allegations against retired police officer coincided with
- Anglesea ‘issued cautions at children’s homes’, court hears
- Gordon Anglesea ‘made boys do military-style parades’
21st Sept 2016
20th Sept 2016
19th Sept 2016
- Hardened criminal breaks down in court describing alleged abuse at
- Gordon Anglesea trial: ‘Victim recognised abuser years later’
16th Sept 2016
15th Sept 2016
- Anglesea trial: Teen ‘used as a toy’ by ex-police chief
- Gordon Anglesea trial witness claimed abuser ‘had birthmark on his
14th Sept 2016
- Gordon Anglesea ‘used position to abuse teens’, court hears
- Former police chief Gordon Anglesea on trial for historical child sex
13th Sept 2016
5th Sept 2016
from Blogger http://ift.tt/2e0HzvP