Former Catholic priest Vincent Gerard Ryan given suspended sentence for sex offences against boy
Convicted paedophile Vincent Gerard Ryan, who worked in the Hunter region for decades. (ABC News: Antoinette Lattouf)
been given a 15-month suspended sentence after pleading guilty to sex
offences in the New South Wales Hunter region from the 1980s.
- Former Catholic priest Vincent Gerard Ryan pleads guilty to sex offences against boy, aged 13 to 15 at the time
- Ryan has already served a 14-year sentence for other sex offences, with his psychologist noting he is “fully rehabilitated”
- Judge gives Ryan a suspended 15-month sentence
The former Catholic priest pleaded guilty to acts of
gross indecency and attempting sexual intercourse with a boy at a church
in Gresford near Dungong, when he was parish priest.
His victim was an altar boy in training, aged between 13 and 15, when the abuse occurred.
The acts include Ryan forcing his penis into the boy’s mouth, masturbating him and attempting to penetrate him.
Another four charges were dropped, as was a two-week trial, when the 78-year-old pleaded guilty to these charges in April.
‘Difficult decision’ to suspend sentence, judge says
In handing down his sentence at Darlinghurst Courthouse, Acting Judge Norman Delaney said it was a “very difficult decision”.
referred to a report from a psychologist who has been treating Ryan for
the past six years which states: “[The offender] is fully
rehabilitated” and “has shown sorrow and remorse”.
And while conceding the charges were serious, Judge Delaney said they sat “at the lower end of criminality”.
He also noted the 14-year sentence already served by Ryan for similar child sexual abuse that occurred in the same decade.
Delaney said Ryan does not remember this particular victim, given the
abuse was so similar to what he carried out against dozens of others the
Flagged by two supporters as he left the court, Ryan declined to comment to the ABC.
‘He is very relieved’, Ryan’s friend says
His friend Tom Campbell said: “He is very relieved”.
“I have supported him for 20 years and I’m glad I don’t have to visit him in jail anymore.”
2010, Ryan was released from Long Bay after serving a 14-year prison
sentence for a string of sexual assaults against 35 boys between 1973
His victims were aged between six and 14.
August, the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child
Sexual Abuse hearing in Newcastle investigated abuse at the hands of
Ryan, who worked in the Maitland-Newcastle diocese for decades.
commission heard the diocese was made aware of abuse allegations
against Ryan in the mid 70s but police were not notified until two
- Hunter Catholic diocese was hopeful paedophile priest could be ‘cured’, royal commission hears
- Child sex abuse royal commission: Hunter paedophile priest ‘was like Jekyll and Hyde’
- Vincent Gerard Ryan: Convicted paedophile and former priest pleads guilty to further offences
- Royal commission to explore child abuse ‘epicentre’ in Newcastle
from Blogger http://ift.tt/2dcGMXD