Rolf Harris Visited Broadmoor With Jimmy Savile
The NHS trust that runs the hospital confirms Harris was one of a number of celebrities invited to visit by Savile.
7:37am UK, Tuesday 01 July 2014
Video: Savile invited Harris to Broadmoor Hospital
The NHS trust that runs Broadmoor Hospital has confirmed that disgraced children’s entertainer Rolf Harris visited the premises after being invited by Jimmy Savile.
West London Mental Health said Harris was one of a number of celebrities Savile invited to the premises, but added they were unable to provide specific details.
The Department of Health says it is not considering an investigation into whether Harris was involved in sexual abuse at the facility while inquiries into Savile’s activities at NHS hospitals are ongoing.
Harris, 84, was found guilty yesterday of a string of indecent assaults against underage girls and will be sentenced on Friday.
During his trial, four females described their ordeal at the hands of Australian-born Harris – with the youngest being just seven or eight years old.
The Australian entertainer is to be stripped of his Bafta Fellowship
He was accused of indecent assaults dating between 1968 and 1986, but several other women who gave evidence at his trial relived how they had been molested by him as late as 1991.
In response to calls for a wider public inquiry into allegations Savile abused the position of trust he had at various NHS hospitals, a spokesman for the Department for Health said: “The investigations into Jimmy Savile and the NHS have been thorough and overseen by an independent assessor with experience of an assurance and challenge role.
“Public inquiries are rare and take a long time to conclude and the fact that the investigation was not held in public may have encouraged a number of witnesses to come forward voluntarily.
“But as the Prime Minister has said, we don’t rule out taking further steps.”
Several investigations into Savile’s activity at UK hospitals are ongoing, including inquiries at Springfield Hospital, Crawley Hospital, Stoke Mandeville and Rampton.
Cilla Black and Ronnie Corbett respond to news of Harris’ conviction
Following the news of Harris’ conviction, Australian prime minister Tony Abbott told the ABC: “I feel gutted and dismayed but it’s very important that we do everything we humanly can to protect vulnerable young people.
“Sexual abuse is an utterly abhorrent crime.”
The NSPCC said it has so far received 28 calls relating to Harris, involving 13 people who made direct allegations against the performer.
And a similar picture is emerging in Australia, where another charity says warnings were ignored.
Child abuse campaigner Hetty Johnston, from Bravehearts, said: “We were given certain information, and certain information has been given to police – they have it. They can’t do anything unless people come forward.”
A Rolf Harris painting in a council building in Bassendean
Bafta confirmed Harris will be stripped of the Fellowship he received in 2012. The children’s entertainer may also lose his CBE following his conviction.
Harris was once proudly referred to as “the Boy from Bassendean”, but now his home town, in Perth, is planning to remove all honours it bestowed on him, including a plaque outside his family home and artworks in council buildings.
Bassendean Mayor John Gangell said: “These are heinous crimes that he’s been convicted of and it should not be condoned in any way and all privileges should be stripped from Mr Harris.”