Once again it is through her brother, former Attorney General in Margaret Thatcher’s government Michael Havers.
Just how many potential conflicts of interests can one person have before they are removed as chairperson of the independent inquiry into historical child abuse ?
Last year it was revealed the UK’s most senior legal figure was told that a former religious preacher involved in loyalist circles, who was a suspect in the Kincora abuse scandal, walked free because of perjured evidence.
In a private meeting, Attorney General Michael Havers and senior Government officials were briefed on the man’s links to the children’s home – and how a file on his case had been destroyed
Three senior staff – William McGrath, Raymond Semple and Joseph Mains – were jailed in 1981 for the abuse, but there have been suggestions of a mass cover-up by the Secret Service, which was rumoured to be protecting high-ranking paedophiles in the military, Civil Service and politics.
The scandal was referred to in several files released by the Public Record Office under the 30-year rule. However, the files have been redacted with key papers removed – while one file couldn’t be found.
One file contains a note of the private meeting in February 1982 attended by senior members of the political and legal establishment, including the Attorney General, Secretary of State Jim Prior, the Lord Chancellor Quintin Hogg and Sir William Bourne, a barrister and senior civil servant.
Just before the meeting, Mr Havers had spoken to the Director of Public Prosecutions for Northern Ireland.
According to the memo, Mr Havers learned that the RUC was investigating three separate aspects of the Kincora affair.
“The first concerned a man… who in 1972 was falsely acquitted on the basis of perjured evidence; the file on his case has subsequently been destroyed by a bomb,” the memo reports.
Mr Havers was also told how the man may have withheld information on a notorious murder which took place nine years earlier.
The body of 10-year-old Brian McDermott was discovered in a sack in the River Lagan in September, 1973. No one was ever convicted of the killing. The meeting was told that the information provided “conflicted with what the RUC had previously told ministers and officials”.
The Kincora scandal first emerged in January 1980.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *