The verdict was made public on Tuesday following the lifting of a court suppression order on the trial, after a second abuse case against Pell was dropped by the prosecution.
A jury in the Country Court of Victoria in Melbourne found Pell guilty on December 11 last year following a four-week trial.
Pell becomes the most senior Catholic clergyman worldwide to be convicted for child sex offences. He had pleaded not guilty to all five charges.
He was convicted of five sexual offences committed against the 13-year-old choir boys 22 years earlier in the priests’ sacristy of St Patrick’s Cathedral in Melbourne, where Pell was archbishop. One of the two victims died in 2014.
Each of the five offences carries a maximum 10 years in jail. Pell’s lawyers have filed an appeal against the verdict on three grounds, which if successful could lead to a retrial.
Watch: Pell heckled by crowds as he leaves court (Sky)
Defectors from Venezuela hang up their uniformsSky News interviews defectors from the Venezuelan military say why they decided to stop supporting Maduro.Sky News
‘All these families are destroyed, for what?’A woman whose sister died in the 1974 Birmingham pub bombings says she is more angry than ever over the murders of the 21 people.Sky News
Harry: ‘She gets all the flowers!’The Duke and Duchess of Sussex continued their three-day tour of Morocco, with some unexpected gifts… for Meghan, at least!Sky News
‘All these families are destroyed, for what?’
Harry: ‘She gets all the flowers!’
Dirty water thrown at rough sleeper
BA plane rocked by strong winds over Gibraltar
‘Delaying Article 50 won’t address issue’
Irish rugby team’s bizarre police escort in Rome
Dropping the ball: When politicians play sport
Kim lookalike ‘deported’ before summit
Terrifying ‘firenado’ seen in Australia
Oscars 2019: The highlights
Rita Ora and Richard E Grant praise Colman
Fire engulfs Chilean hillside
Moment Olivia Colman wins the Oscar
And the Oscar goes to…
Watch stars on the Oscars red carpet
Pell, who remains on bail, left the court on Tuesday without speaking to reporters, who virtually mobbed him as he walked from the courthouse steps to a waiting car. He is due to return to court on Wednesday for the start of his sentencing hearing.
The verdict has been made public as the Catholic church tries to deal with a growing child sexual abuse crisis, following scandals in the United States, Chile, Germany and Australia.
Pope Francis ended a conference on sexual abuse on Sunday, calling for an “all out battle” against a crime that should be “erased from the face of the earth”.
The Vatican said in December that Francis had removed Pell, 77, from his group of close advisers, without commenting on the trial. Pell, who took indefinite leave in 2016 from his role as economy minister for the Vatican to fight the charges, was not called to the stand in the trial.
Instead, the jury was shown in open court a video recording of an interview Australian police held with Pell in Rome in October 2016, in which he strenuously denied the allegations.
The jury was also shown a video recording of the surviving victim’s testimony behind closed doors.
The court had issued a suppression order on the trial out of concern that a second trial Pell faced could be prejudiced by the outcome of the first case. But prosecutors dropped the charges on Tuesday.
Judge Peter Kidd had extended bail for Pell, who had been walking with a crutch throughout the trial, to allow him to undergo double-knee surgery in Sydney in December. His bail had been extended since then.