CLIFFS SECOND STRIKE

 Sir Cliff Richard
A second alleged sexual abuse victim
of Sir Cliff Richard has challenged a decision not to bring charges
against him, prosecutors have said.

The Crown Prosecution Service
said last month it was reviewing one case after a request by a male
complainant, and another has now requested a review.
In June it said there was “insufficient evidence” to prosecute Sir Cliff over sex abuse claims made by four men.
A spokesman for the singer said: “Sir Cliff reaffirms his innocence.”
Both
cases are expected to be reviewed together, with the outcome expected
this month, BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said.
Alleged
victims of crimes are entitled to a review of decisions not to charge
suspects under a scheme set up by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) in
England and Wales in 2013.
A spokesman for Sir Cliff said: “Sir
Cliff reaffirms his innocence and has every confidence the CPS will come
to the right conclusion as soon as possible.”
On Tuesday, in
reply to a question about Sir Cliff’s case, Director of Public
Prosecutions Alison Saunders said reviews would be looked at within 28
days.
“We
only overturn these decisions if we think that the original decision
was wrong,” she told the Today programme on BBC Radio 4.
“We look
at it again, and it must still be that there is sufficient evidence and
it’s in the public interest to prosecute. It must still satisfy the
tests.”
The four men alleged the sex offences had taken place between 1958 and the early 1980s.
When the CPS decided not to bring charges against Sir Cliff in June the singer said he was “thrilled that the vile accusations and the resulting investigation have finally been brought to a close”.
Sir Cliff Richard

from Blogger http://ift.tt/2ccTOj1
via IFTTT

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *