Wilfred Wongs co accused suicided

Anglesey child kidnap accused found dead in prison cell, inquest hears

Former psychiatric nurse, Robert Frith died at HMP Berwyn on November 14

A general view inside HMP Berwyn (Image: Getty Images)

A man charged with an alleged child kidnapping on Anglesey was found dead in his prison cell, an inquest heard.

Robert Frith of Tyn Parc, Holyhead, was discovered suffocated in his bed at HMP Berwyn in Wrexham just after 8.30am on November 14.

Paramedics were called but the the former psychiatric nurse was pronounced dead after being formally identified by prison officers.

An inquest opening at Ruthin County Hall today heard the 65-year-old had been arrested and remanded in custody on November 9, ahead of a plea and trial preparation hearing in relation to the alleged kidnapping of a child in Gaerwen.

Coroner for North Wales east and central, John Gittins said checks had been carried out at the prison at around 5pm on November 13 – the night before Mr Frith was discovered dead.

A general view of HMP Berwyn (Image: Getty Images)

A Home Office postmortem was carried out by Dr Brian Rodgers, who gave a provisional cause of death as plastic bag suffocation.

Mr Gittins said deaths in custody automatically trigger a coroner’s inquest and said he will adjourn the hearing to await the findings of an investigation by the Prison and Probation Ombudsman before listing the matter for full inquest.

It comes after Mr Frith appeared at Llandudno Magistrates Court alongside five other defendants on November 9 accused of kidnapping a child under ten on November 4.

Why journalists cover inquests and why it’s crucial that we do

Reporting on an inquest can be one of the hardest types of stories a journalist can write.

More often than not, they are emotionally charged proceedings attended by grief-stricken people who are desperate for answers.

Sometimes, inquests can seem quite clinical due to a coroner’s need to remain impartial and level-headed so that they can draw a conclusion from desperately sad events.

As painful as these proceedings are for those who have lost a loved one, the lessons that can be learned from inquests can go a long way to saving others’ lives.

Families are often surprised – and sometimes angry – when they see a reporter in attendance.

Understandably they worry the nature of their loved one’s death will be sensationalised and that a news story will forever tarnish their memory.

Responsible and ethically minded journalists will do what they can to report inquests sensitively, while not shying away from the often upsetting facts.

It is vital that the public don’t forget that inquests are a type of judicial inquiry; they are after all held in a coroner’s court.

The press has a legal right to attend inquests and has a responsibility to report on them as part of their duty to uphold the principle of ‘open justice’.

LCR_HDE_080914coroners.jpg

But in doing so journalists must follow the guidance provided by the Independent Press Standards Organistion and set out in Editors’ Code of Conduct.

It’s a journalist’s duty to make sure the public understands the reasons why someone has died and to make sure their deaths are not kept secret.

An inquest report can also clear up any rumours or suspicion surrounding a person’s death.

But most importantly of all, an inquest report can draw attention to circumstances which may stop further deaths from happening.

Inquests are not criminal courts – there is no prosecution or defence – they are fact-finding tribunals which seek to answer four key questions:

  • Who is the person who died?
  • Where did they die?
  • When did they die?
  • How did they die?

They do not apportion blame.

Once these questions are answered a coroner will be able to record a conclusion.

The wider lessons that can be learned from an inquest can have far-reaching consequences – but if journalists do not attend them how can the public be made aware?

The harsh reality is they can’t. Coroners often do not publish the results of an inquest.

Should journalists shy away from attending inquests then an entire arm of the judicial system – and numerous others who need to answer vital questions – is not held to account.

Inquests can often prompt a wider discussion on serious issues, the most recent of these being mental health and suicide.

Editors actively ask and encourage reporters to speak to the family and friends of a person who is the subject of an inquest.

Their contributions help us create a clearer picture of the person who died and also provides the opportunity to pay tribute to their loved one.

Often families do not wish to speak to the press and of course that decision has to be respected.

However, as has been seen by many brilliant campaigns run by newspapers and websites up and down the country, the input of a person’s family and friends can make all the difference in helping to save others.

Without the attendance of the press at inquests questions will remain unanswered, debates unargued and lives lost.

He was due to appear again before Caernarfon Crown Court on December 7.

The other defendants in the case are Jane Claire Going-Hill, 59, of Pump Street,  Holyhead; Anke Hill, 50, of Cae Glas, Holyhead; Edward Stevenson, 68, of Parnell Close, Maidenbower, Crawley, West Sussex; Janet Stevenson, 66, a charity counsellor, of Parnell Close, Maidenbower, Crawley, West Sussex and Wilfred Wong, 55, of Pied Bull Court, Galen Place, Camden, London.

Prosecutor James Neary said the defendants are alleged to have “unlawfully and by force or fraud took or carried away a child against his will”.

Wong is also charged with possessing a knife.

You can now get all the latest news and reports sent straight to you for FREE. Sign up to our court newsletter here

WHEN DOGS FALL OUT

All the jolly boys and girls

 

All the jolly boys and girls

Posted on November 11, 2020 by 

As more and more information fights its way past the Scottish Government’s bouncers into the public domain, and the First Minister’s continued dogged insistence that she knew nothing about the false allegations against Alex Salmond until April 2018 looks more and more ridiculous, lots of things still aren’t clear.

One of them, of course, is who leaked the story to Davie Clegg of the Daily Record in August of that year, when the whole thing should have been confidential and passing it to the press was an unambiguously malicious and criminal act.

(The Information Commissioner’s Office investigated the leak but were sadly unable to locate any evidence. A second investigation is currently in progress.)

So let’s see what we know.

 

The timing of the leak is crucial. We know from material given to the current Holyrood inquiry that Alex Salmond’s lawyers had repeatedly told the Scottish Government that their investigation into the allegations was unlawful and that the matter should instead be dealt with privately by arbitration and/or mediation.

The Scottish Government had flatly refused these suggestions and insisted on going to court where the allegations would have become public – right up until the eve of the hearing, when it suddenly conceded, at a cost of hundreds of thousands of pounds to the taxpayer. It has steadfastly resisted disclosing its legal advice on the subject.

But one of the things we know is that Salmond was about to seek, on the morning of 24 August 2018, to have an interim interdict issued by the Court Of Session which would have prevented the Scottish Government from issuing any statement naming Salmond. The Scottish Government was informed of that fact at 5pm on the 23rd.

Within three hours of that notification, Davie Clegg had the whole story.

So where could it have come from? At this stage, very few people would have known in any major detail about the investigation. They included the two complainers, the First Minister herself, Permanent Secretary Leslie Evans, investigating officer Judith MacKinnon, civil servant Barbara Allison, and finally the First Minister’s chief of staff Liz Lloyd, who since March 2018 had been a central liaison between Nicola Sturgeon and Salmond’s representative and former chief of staff Geoff Aberdein.

If we rule out Salmond and Aberdein that’s just seven people (along with a very small handful of other civil-service mandarins who’ve got no axe to grind). Do any of them, we wonder, have any notable connection to or relationship with Davie Clegg?

Hmm, what’s this?

Let’s have a closer peek at those photos, shall we? (Click to enlarge.)

The front row of the first one, from left to right, is Kezia Dugdale, Liz Lloyd, SNP MSP Jenny Gilruth, then-Tory MP Ross Thomson, and Davie Clegg. (The tiny wee fella at the back is Dugdale’s official spokesman at the time, David Ross, and the other one is the oddly-named Lang Banks of conservation group WWF Scotland for some reason.)

All seven also appear in the second snap.

They were taken in, we believe, New York, but definitely during the International Visitor Leadership Program, an ongoing policy initiative of the US Department Of State in which “Scottish Opinion Leaders” – figures of influence (or potential influence, to very generously describe Dugdale’s case) are invited to spend some time over in the States “exchanging information” with the US government.

The two-week shindig has a notional price tag of $11,605 (about £8,700). We know this because Dugdale and Gilruth declared it in Holyrood’s register of interests, noting that the US Embassy picked up the tab for each of them.

(Oddly, Ross Thomson declared it on his Westminster register, even though he was an MSP at the time and didn’t become a UK MP until almost a year later.)

Given that you can get two weeks in New York in June – including flights, rather swish hotels and taxes – for as little as £900, it must be a pretty fancy affair.

Dugdale “became friends” with Gilruth on the visit, just a couple of weeks before she got engaged to her then-girlfriend Louise Riddell (it was never disclosed publicly who had proposed to who) and only five months before dumping Riddell and buying her out of their shared Edinburgh flat with the money she made from “I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here”, then officially becoming a couple with Gilruth in early 2017.

Persistent chatter in Scottish political circles – which this site cannot confirm or refute – alleges that Clegg, who is married, and Lloyd also “became friends” on the trip.

It was never clear what Clegg was doing on the IVLP at all, or who was paying for him. He tweeted only once about the “exchange trip” in the entire two weeks and the two weeks afterwards, and we’ve been unable to find any coverage of it or the “food for thought” it gave him in the Record around the time.

(He did write one piece, about the unpopularity of Hillary Clinton, based on his time in the US, but with no mention of either the IVLP or his gang of Scottish travel buddies.)

Dugdale didn’t make a single tweet about the IVLP either, nor write anything about it that we’ve been able to find, so we’re not sure why she needed to have a spokesman with her. She stayed on in the US for a few days afterwards to help Hillary Clinton to her famous victory in the Presidential election, though, and tweeted about that.

(She went back in October just to make sure, all while still claiming a salary as MSP for the people of the Lothian region, and at one point even got to meet a cardboard cutout of her heroine. Luckily she stayed away this year.)

Gilruth, however, tweeted twice about the trip, including a nice shot of the gang at the White House and revealing that they were in fact gallivanting across the whole country on Uncle Sam’s dime, not just New York.

One of the pics also features unexpected cameo appearances from two SNP MPs – its Westminster chief whip Patrick Grady and defence procurement spokesperson Angela Crawley (far right), alongside Gilruth and Lloyd.

(We have no idea who was paying for Grady and Crawley, because neither of them declare any US trip in the Westminster register of interests from July to October 2016.)

There was even time for a moment of apparent work, when Gilruth helpfully “stressed the value of education” to some US education officials who we can only assume might not have been aware of it. Nine grand well spent there.

Once again, we’re not quite clear on what Davie Clegg, a Scottish newspaper hack, is doing exchanging information with the Colorado Department Of Education, but we’re certain they were thrilled with his input. And the important thing is that everyone seems to have had an absolutely splendid time together.

That’s Lloyd snuggled in close against Clegg on the upper left, btw. It’s nice to see him still wearing a suit and tie outdoors in 36C temperatures. He must have been sweating like a Scottish Government witness at the Salmond inquiry.

Now, we of course have to emphasise that none of the above demonstrates any sort of wrongdoing by anyone. It’s just a happy bunch of good pals enjoying a free glamorous summer holiday serious and important fact-finding trip, like anyone would.

It most certainly doesn’t prove that Liz Lloyd – one of the vanishingly small number of people who knew the details of the Salmond investigation at that point – leaked them to Davie Clegg hours before a court interdict, to make sure that they got into the public eye and enabled the press to luridly smear and monster Salmond on the basis of false allegations for months before he could prove his innocence, conveniently serving the interests of both the newspapers and the Scottish Government.

We’re equally sure that there’s nothing sinister in the US government being so nice to so many SNP figures, and that they want nothing in return.

And we’re certain that the absence of any official record of Grady and Crawley’s trips must mean that they paid for them themselves and just happened to bump into the others while out sightseeing, or something like that.

[EDIT 3.26pm: Aha.]

So to be honest, readers, we’re not sure why we even mentioned any of it, other than to perhaps show you a little about how cosily the world of politics you never hear about works. You may as well all just carry on with your day and forget we said anything.

Print Friendly

twat

Noor Subhani, of Burton Road, Branston, would laugh under his breath as he made fun of four male residents in his care while taking photos or videos of them being neglected and asking them to repeat inappropriate phrases.
Care worker took 'despicable' videos of pensioners with dementia
DERBYTELEGRAPH.CO.UK | BY HELEN KREFT – BURTON MAIL
Care worker took ‘despicable’ videos of pensioners with dementia
He laughed as he humiliated care home residents with dementia and Alzheimer’s
You and 3 others
1 Comment
Seen by 9
Like
Comment

Comments

Allan Bryant

 

Allan Bryant Snr
badge icon
Admin

 

Hi everyone.
Kevin Houliston the head of the Major investigation team called this afternoon and talked to Allan’s Mum Marie the investigation may continue the rest of this week or even into next week so many experts and specialist’s involved now it’s nearly impossible to keep up with it all. My family are lost at the moment and the time it’s taking to identity the human remains that where found on Sunday evening is really taking it’s toll on us now myself and Marie have asked them so many question’s they will not tell us anything until they are 100 percent certain regarding anything it’s getting to much for my family now we will get more updates tomorrow at some time.
Yet again i want to thank you all for your continued support.
Love from Myself and Marie ❤️
Please if anyone has any information no matter how small contact the police anonymously on 101 or crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or missingpeople.org
anonymously on 116 000
Image may contain: 1 person, closeup

North-east pervert avoids jail because vigilante he interacted was not a real 14-year-old girl

North-east pervert avoids jail because vigilante he interacted was not a real 14-year-old girl

Barrie Robertson.
Barrie Robertson.