Ashli Cook leapt from a 100ft monument after getting into an argument with her boyfriend Marcus Webbe

Man arrested on suspicion of child sex crime following teenage girl’s suicide

Ashli Cook leapt from a 100ft monument after getting into an argument with her boyfriend Marcus Webbe

Ashli Cook
Arrest: A 20-year-old man has been arrested by police investigating the suicide of teenager Ashli Cook

A man has been arrested following the death of a girl who leapt to her death from a 100ft monument.
The 20-year-old man was arrested last night by Hampshire Police officers investigating the suicide of tragic 15-year-old Ashli Cook.
The teenager died after falling from the Sir Eyre Coote monument in Rockbourne, an inquest into her death heard yesterday.
In a statement, police said last night: “ Hampshire Constabulary can confirm that a 20 year-old man from the Fordingbridge area has been arrested on suspicion of engaging in sexual activity with a child and possessing indecent images in an investigation related to this death and has been bailed until February pending further enquiries.”
They declined to comment further.
At the inquest, it was revealed that on September 20, the day before her death, Ashli, of Alderholt, and her boyfriend Marcus Webb, 20, had argued about going to a carnival.
The row ended with Ashli, who had been in a relationship with her boyfriend for three years, storming out of Mr Webb’s home in Sandleheath.
A short while later she texted him, saying: “I’m going to jump off the tower. If we can’t be together I don’t want to be with anyone. Bye.”
In a statement, Mr Webb said he did not take the threat seriously but later that evening he grew concerned about her and went to the tower on his bike.
Once he arrived in the early hours of September 21, he discovered her body and called the emergency services.
He said: “I thought maybe she had fallen asleep by the monument. I brushed her hair out of her face and her lips were blue. I shook her but she wasn’t moving. I screamed for help. I didn’t know what to do.”
Despite efforts to save her life, the teenager died.
In the statement, Mr Webb added: “I feel so guilty. I feel like it is my fault. She told me she was going to kill herself and she even told me the location. I laughed at her and thought she would not do it.
“Ashli meant more than life to me and I am nothing without her. I feel there is no point in me even being here.”
Ashli’s mother, Canasta Blake, also did not attend the inquest but in a statement paid tribute to her daughter: “Ashli was a lovely young girl, unique, different, and quirky. She had her own special dress sense. She would have grown up to be a lovely person.”
Mrs Blake said in the weeks before her death there had been a problem with two girls at school bullying Ashli but she did not think it was a big problem and that Ashli was dealing with it.
Ashli had been referred to the Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service but had been discharged.
But during the summer their concerns had arisen again and she was on a waiting list for referral.
Hampshire Coroner Grahame Short recorded a conclusion that Ashli took her own life.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *